[time-nuts] HP 117 from ebay

Perry Sandeen sandeenpa at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 26 12:55:26 EDT 2013

List,

I bought one of them for several reasons besides
that I really wanted it.

1.  There is
plenty of real estate to install Paul’s demod circuit.

2.  It is
large enough so the nuvistors can be replaced with dual gate mosfets (I have
lots of them). Also sometimes replacement nuvistors can be obtained on ebay for
a reasonable amount.

3.  If
needed, I believe most of the divider circuits can be relatively easily
replaced with IC’s.

However the first thing I will do before firing it
up (figuratively or literally) is to replace all the electrolytic caps.

I’m not interested in buying the antenna as there
are numerous vlf antenna circuits with preamps for 60 KHz on the net.  One suggestion I found interesting was the
idea of filling your tubing with wet sand then using a truck tire to bend the
loop. Where to borrow a truck tire? It didn’t say.

Regards,

Perrier