[time-nuts] GPS Spoofing

David t_list_1_only at braw.co.uk
Mon Jul 29 04:45:17 EDT 2013

John, Omega did make it into the 'uP age' I briefly got involved in the
80's and my first patent was for using DSPs and software radio for an
Omega development . The key thing was Omega was genuinely world wide
from a small chain of transmitters and one of the important users had to
do their navigation while staying underwater for weeks on end, even
Loran had limitations never mind satellite.

It might be the answer "the mystery Collins Ru" posting here, I remember
similar items in airborne Omega receivers, the omega carrier frequencies
were low but the receiver bandwidths were measured in mHz and phase
error was critical hence the boxes I saw included similar references.

Its rather painful to see all the warnings about GPS made 30 years ago
having to be re addressed. I suspect Loran will not get a big revival,
the important development since the '80s is probably cheap MEMS inertial
measurement sensors that give a user a secure cheap independent
accessory to integrate with GPS etc. Its not an alternative but a rather
useful thing to merge into a system to help deal with spoofing or other
signal loss, this page from Analog Devices shows prices and performance:

http://www.analog.com/en/mems-sensors/mems-inertial-measurement-units/products/index.html#iSensor_MEMS_Inertial_Measurement_Units

There are other opportunistic navigation systems that try (tried?) other
approaches such as Peter Duffett-Smith's Cursor system which I think is
now in the hands of CSR.

Regards
David