[time-nuts] Looking for datasheet for Oscilloquartz 8602

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Jun 1 11:11:38 EDT 2013

On Wed, 29 May 2013 01:59:12 +0200
Magnus Danielson <magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org> wrote:

> On 05/28/2013 07:55 PM, Attila Kinali wrote:
>
> http://www.pttimeeting.org/archivemeetings/1984papers/Vol%2016_10.pdf
>
> See also
> http://www.pttimeeting.org/archivemeetings/1979papers/Vol%2011_25.pdf

Interesting stuff. Thanks a lot!

> > Juup. I just went back to Vig's tutorial and read up what he wrote.
> > Misremembering things is not a good thing...
> > But then, he explicitly writes that SC cut gives a higher stability
> > over AT cut due to lower temperature dependence and less dips.
>
> That is true, but your discreditation of AT-cut was simply way off the
> mark, so I wanted to bring it into context. There is a difference, but
> it is not as huge as it sounded like. I like to think about it as such
> that you better have done much of your homework in form of good
> oscillator and oven before considering spending money on going from
> AT-cut to SC-cut, but it does give that extra performance if you need
> it. The OSA 8600 shows just how far you can take AT-cut.

Oh.. Ok. Didn't want to sound that way. On the other hand, that conclusion
is not far from the truth. I still have a lot to learn. Thanks for the
correction.

But then, the 8600 has a ~10dB higher noise then the 8607. Ie the noise
is 10 times higher (it is power-dB, not voltage-dB isn't it?). Which
makes me wonder what the noise contribution is. I would assume that the
electronics are very similar if not the same (electronics are cheap compared
to the crystal) and the mechanical construction seems to be very similar
as well.

In comparison the stability between 2 and 30s has only a factor of 2 inbetween.
(maximum instability according to spec).

Any ideas what the reason could be?

			Attila Kinali

		-- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin