[time-nuts] Cheap 9.8Mhz Sa.22c's

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Sun Jun 2 16:24:05 EDT 2013

Glutton for punishment, aren't you Mark!  :)

There's probably no way to get to 10 MHz.  I have two of these that I
picked up just to play with.  Another purchaser contacted Symmetricom
and actually got some information out of them.  The oscillator in these
runs at 58.9824 MHz.  The default output is 9.8304 MHz.  The output can
be changed, but only in submultiples of the 58.98 MHz.  e.g. 58.98
divided by 6 equals 9.8304.  You can change  the '6' to various integers
as documented in the manual.

To move the output to 10 MHz you'd have to change the crystal back to
the standard 60 MHz so that you could divide it by 6.  But then you'd
mess up the multiplier that takes the crystal frequency up to the Rb
frequency.  You'd have to change the synthesizer that controls that side
of the system.  There's no way to tell if that would require a
completely new firmware load or if, just maybe, there could be an
undocumented (maybe protected) command to modify it.  You might be able
to send it back to Symmetricom to get it changed but, based on my
experience, you couldn't afford it.

Ed