[time-nuts] HP and other equipment failure

J. Forster jfor at quikus.com
Sat Jun 15 18:15:43 EDT 2013

Joe,

With the tradition rectifier/filter power is only drawn on both side of
the peak of the sine of line voltage, sort of like this:

because the rectifier diodes only conduct when Vsupply > Vcapacitor

With a switching converter, using an inductor as an intermediate energy
storage element, it is possible to draw current over more of the cycle.

This is called PFC, but is not PFC in the true sense, which is only
defined for sines.

-John