[time-nuts] WWVB remodulator for the spectracom 8170 the schematic is to large

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Mon Jun 17 17:10:57 EDT 2013

On 6/17/2013 9:52 AM, Chris Albertson wrote:
> Here is an even smaller version, at the same resolution.    The trick is to
> remove the background.  Then all you have is mostly a plank sheet and a
> small amount of ink that compresses very well.
>
> What you do is adjust the contrast until you have only pure white and pure
> black.  That alone does 90% of the work.  Save it as a monochrome file to
> kill the color channels then set the JPG compression as strong as you can.

That is basically the steps I used to make my version, except the jpg
encoding. Jpg is great for photos but not ideal for line art. If you
zoom into the jpg version you will see clouds of noise around the line
features. Gif doesn't do that.

When I made my gif version last night I used 64-level grayscale. That's
more than necessary. I just tried a version with 8-level grayscale and
the file size went from 95k to 43k.

Of course the other key compression was reducing resolution. The
original was 6600 x 5100 pixels. I cut down to 1400 x 1082 which still
may be a bit more than needed.

This is a bit off-topic for the group, though.