[time-nuts] Z3801 replacement

Jim Sanford wb4gcs at wb4gcs.org
Fri Jun 28 09:45:35 EDT 2013

All:

My Z3801 no longer works, and I've not been able to get any new ideas on
it, so am looking for a replacement.

I've come across a nice 10 MHz that has very good phase noise (-145db or
so at 10 KHz offset), but costs $175 in single quantities (digi-key, I
think.)  I was considering using one of W1GHz's boards to lock it to a
jupter GPS engine that I already have.  Several people have told me this
is overkill, recommending the Thunderbolt.

I've read that there are various OXCXs used in Thunderbolts, some OK,
some not so good.

Looking on ebay right now, I see a Nortel Trimble NTBW50AA, a
Symmetricom, NTBW50AA, and another Nortel.

Does anybody have experience with these?   I'm particularly interested
in the best phase noise I can get.  This will be station master
frequency reference, and will ultimately lock stations up to 10 GHz.

Thanks & 73,
Jim
wb4gcs at amsat.org