[time-nuts] Quartz crystal aging and applied voltage

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sun Jun 30 12:26:05 EDT 2013

On 6/30/2013 8:47 AM, Attila Kinali wrote:

> Most of the oscillator circuits out there place a small, but constant
> DC voltage on the crystal, which has the same effect on the ions as

FWIW, the HP 10811 definitely does not do this (according to its
designers) since the crystal is capacitively coupled.  Furthermore,
they added a 1 megohm resistor across the crystal to make sure
it has no DC on it.  I would be surprised if any precision oscillator
applied DC to the crystal.

Rick Karlquist N6RK