[time-nuts] Don't use cheap cables -- a cautionary tale

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 3 11:30:43 EST 2013

On 3/3/13 8:00 AM, Kevin Rosenberg wrote:
> On Mar 3, 2013, at 7:59 AM, John Ackermann <jra at febo.com> wrote:
>> Lesson learned -- use only double-shielded cable in the oscillator rack (and in any RF measurement path) from now on.
>
> I've learned that lesson as well. John Miles said that RG-58 is occasionally referred to as 'soaker hose'.

RG-58 (which by the way, is a spec that officially no longer exists as
part of MIL-C17-28, ditto for RG-8, RG-213, etc. The military apparently
doesn't use PVC insulated wire any more.) comes in myriad forms all of
which bear a passing resemblance to each other.  (leaving aside the
RG-58A, RG-58, RG-58C differences).

The term seems to be used for any 50 ohm single shield coax that's about
0.20 inch in diameter with solid polyethylene insulation. You really
need to look at the specific model number to know what the shielding
looks like. It could be anything from a  very loose weave of thin copper
strands to something nice and dense.