[time-nuts] Don't use cheap cables -- a cautionary tale (BobCamp)

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Tue Mar 5 13:06:17 EST 2013

Hi

Not quite sure how my name got into the thread title...

Coverage numbers aren't all they might be. A simple aluminum foil wrap lets
a vendor claim 100% coverage. The skin depth of the foil is near zero, so
it's not a big help shield wise at low frequencies. Same thing with labels,
just about any fly by night outfit can write nearly anything on a cable.

Skin depth at 1 MHz is about 0.1 mm (4 mils). At that point, shielding is
compromised. Depending on cable length / required isolation / optical
coverage you might want 5 or even 10 skin depths. It's a bit tough to find a
flexible lab cable with 1 mm (40 mil) shielding on it.

As you go down in frequency, at some point your only real solution is a
twisted pair. Before that point, multiple isolated shields can help (good
luck with connectors). At 1 Hz (1 pps ..) you would need 0.1 m of shield to
get to one skin depth. That's not a cable I have in stock...

Bob