[time-nuts] WWVB Clocks don't sync anymore (revisited)

Brucekareen at aol.com Brucekareen at aol.com
Wed Mar 20 12:12:40 EDT 2013

Our favorite La Crosse bedroom projection clock stopped synchronizing about
 the time WWVB implemented phase-modulation.  However, even unlocked, it
keeps pretty accurate time.  When Daylight time comes or goes, in the  spring
and fall, I have to take the clock out on the deck and remove and  replace
the batteries.  This causes the clock to immediately try  to synchronize
with WWVB, rather than waiting until midnight.

The clock spends the first five or ten minutes acquiring a signal from  its
remote, outside 450 MHz temperature/humidity sensor.  When  acquisition is
completed, the radio symbol on the clock begins flashing  indicating the
clock is attempting to acquire the WWVB signal.  This  typically requires five
to ten minutes.  When WWVB is acquired, the clock  displays the correct time
and the wireless symbol stays on  steadily.

I have had to do this a number of times, and at different times of the
day.  Thus I am led to conclude successful locking is not related to WWVB
phase-modulation being turned off, but rather to improved signal strength or
signal/noise ratio out on the deck.  It seems likely that computers  and TVs,
and even electrical appliances, generate a lot of VLF hash in the  house.

Many years ago, while working in the broadcast industry, we had to receive
an AM radio signal deep underground in a BART tunnel.  I solved this by
using a three-foot diameter resonant-ring antenna (series-resonant at the
desired frequency) at the underground location.  Bringing portable  radios
within a few feet of the properly oriented resonant-ring produced loud  and
clear reception.  Something similar can probably be done for WWVB  reception.  A
hidden loop of wire that is series resonant for WWVB could be  coupled to
the radio-clock.

Bruce, KG6OJI