[time-nuts] Brooks Shera

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 23:22:05 EDT 2013

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 7:34 PM, EB4APL <eb4apl at cembreros.jazztel.es> wrote:
> I wanted to build a GPSDO using the Brooks Shera design since I read the QST
> article.  I asked him in Jan 2009 about his source code, because I wanted to
> change the PIC to a more modern one and add some functionality....

This is a perfect example of why people need to publish the source.
Make it GPL or whatever.  But the version that was posted to this
thread is close enough to the final version and it is easy to modify
any why you like.

I was going to build one of these too.  Then I found out about a
PIC-TIC which is quite a bit better at measuring the phase difference
and today we have better parts and cheap FPGAs.  The value of the
Shera design is that it is simple enough to study and understand and
then go build something that builds on Brooks' idea.  Now that you can
read the code and see the schematic people can study this for years.

> https://sites.google.com/site/bshera02/software
> and
> https://sites.google.com/site/bshera02/software2

This is another example of a dead-end project.  No source code.  You'd
have to start over from scratch to make even the smallest change (such
as getting it to run on a new version of the OS or an iPad or
whatever.)
--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California