[time-nuts] Win XP and NIST time

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Mar 27 12:41:54 EDT 2013

albertson.chris at gmail.com said:
> For the video capture application we only need to keep up with the average
> data rate and if the system stops reading data for a few tens of
> milliseconds and lets it buffer in the capture hardware then it is OK
> because nothing is lost.   The only criteria for success is "nothing is
> lost".

I agree in general.  The catch is that you need enough buffering.

In lots of cases, buffering is expensive so the hardware designers try to
avoid it.  A big chunk of the USB architecture is trying to guarantee service
so the dongle designer can figure out how little buffering they can get away
with.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.