[time-nuts] OT - DC-10 gyros

bg at lysator.liu.se bg at lysator.liu.se
Thu Mar 28 08:47:32 EDT 2013

Hi Bill,

> Well, I can come up with something topical, read on. :)

[snip]

> Topical in a more abstract way, strapdown systems really are very
> interesting. They require precise integration of the rate output over
> time to derive velocity and position, and really weren't practical until
> the 70's when small enough computers existed to do the requisite
> calculations.  (I worked on the nav system for the Trident missile back
> in my Draper Labs days).

Well, for the analysis of your gyro performance, time-nuts are already
equiped with one of the tools used - the Allan Variance.

    http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=4404126&tag=1

There is also the relation

      GPS & oscillator -> GPSDO

where in the navigation field

      GPS & 3x gyro + 3x accel   ->  GPS stabilised inertial navigation
system

--

     Björn