[time-nuts] Photodiodes for high frequency OPLL

lists at lazygranch.com lists at lazygranch.com
Sat Mar 30 13:29:45 EDT 2013

You lose me at damping per decade? Is damping the right word? Do you mean high frequency rolloff?

Most texts on photodiodes go into bootstrapping them to reduce the effect of capacitance. But if you design fully differential amplifier circuits, they have the same effect as bootstrapping. Jerald Graeme's "Photodiode Amplifiers" goes into this. I'm not a fan of Gain technology as a company, but Graeme's book are good texts.

The bootstrapping circuits use simpler buffers to keep the voltage potential across the diode low, while the fully differential circuits depend on gain bandwidth product to do the same.