[time-nuts] Photodiodes for high frequency OPLL

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sat Mar 30 17:03:32 EDT 2013

A photodiode is in fact a nonlinear device for optical fields as it is
essentially a linear optical power detector.
The output is proportional to the incident optical power not the field
amplitude.
Photomixers are routinely used in wide range of diverse application such
as translating the frequency fluctuations of the (Mie) scattered light
due to Brownian motion of the colloidal particle sizes to baseband. The
size of the scattering particles can be inferred from the shape of the
resultant frequency spectrum.

An interferometer of itself (without a detector) is a linear device that
merely superimposes optical fields and will of itself produce no
difference frequency output.

Bruce