[time-nuts] Time nut newbie

Mark Spencer mspencer12345 at yahoo.ca
Wed May 1 13:27:53 EDT 2013

Hi, Tim:

For what it is worth I've been down a similar road using various crystal controlled lab frequency standards to drive internet time servers.   (I'm more of a plug and play person these days.)    Some of these lab standards feature external DC power inputs and have a fairly low power drain.    After running for a month my time server that uses an old (and probably very well aged) HP105B crystal standard as a reference is off by approx 1/100 of a second (it's hard to tell when looking at it via the internet.)   At first I synchronized the time server with a 1pps signal from a GPS receiver, then I removed the 1pps signal and the let the time server free run using the HP105B as the time base.

If you want to focus on building the clock vs building the reference some of the old crystal standards might be worth looking at and using a 1pps source from a GPS to initially sync your clock may be worth looking at as well.   I'd be curious to hear what your longer term results are.

You might also want to take a look at the

http://tapr.org/kits_t2-mini.html  for ways of converting the output of an OCXO to a 1pps pulse and syncing the pulses to an external source.

Best regardsMark S

Message: 7