[time-nuts] Extended length Phase Noise Measurements with TimeLab

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Fri May 3 14:31:00 EDT 2013

Hi Tom --

Are you talking about capture time limits, or minimum tau?  I've never
encountered any capture time limits in TimeLab and have done out to 30 days.

However, one thing I have noticed with the 5120A ethernet using my own
capture software is that the data flow will sometimes stop for several
seconds and then restart.  You don't actually lose any samples, but the
client software can suffer a TCP timeout.  I got around this by setting
the timeout in my software (using Perl's libtelnet module under Linux)
to something like 30 seconds.  That solved the issue for me.

I've never seen the TCP timeout affect TimeLab; I don't know what kind
of time limit John has coded but it seems to be long enough.

Re the 5120A itself erroring out, it does complain if either the
frequency or the amplitude change too much during the measurement.
Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to disable that.

John
----