[time-nuts] vs Hg ion? Re: GPS clock stabilitiy, Rb vs Cs

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun May 5 14:45:27 EDT 2013

Hi Jim,

On 05/05/2013 07:33 PM, Jim Lux wrote:
> On 5/5/13 10:05 AM, Magnus Danielson wrote:
>> They have been targeting this goal for a very long time. Several
>> interesting papers is to be found at PTTI, NIST etc.
>>

> Yeah.. some years (6 or 7?) ago, John Prestage had a prototype of the
> physics package working on the bench. Getting from there to a repeatably
> manufacturable space flight qualified has been a few years. Not to
> mention making flight qualified electronics to go around it. I think the
> first flight will be next year or the year after as a hosted payload on
> something.

Here is a starting-point:

33rd PTTI 2001:
http://www.pttimeeting.org/archivemeetings/2001papers/paper4.pdf

38th PTTI 2006:
http://trs-new.jpl.nasa.gov/dspace/bitstream/2014/40340/1/07-0487.pdf

39th PTTI 2007:
http://www.pttimeeting.org/archivemeetings/2007papers/paper25.pdf

NIST:
http://tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/742.pdf

JPL:
http://trs-new.jpl.nasa.gov/dspace/bitstream/2014/40206/3/04-2783FN.pdf

That was only a quick search, so it is easy to find those and more.

Would be interesting to see how the lasers could be made affordable and
compact. It's a bit difficult frequency/wavelength.

Cheers,
Magnus