[time-nuts] Symmetricom TS2100-GPS - 1PPS has 10uS offset

Esa Heikkinen tn1ajb at nic.fi
Fri May 10 14:05:46 EDT 2013

Hello!

I bought Symmetricom Tymserve TS2100-GPS some time ago. When comparing
it's 1PPS with Thunderbolt they are not in sync:
http://www.amigazone.fi/files/gpsdo/ts2100-pps-offset.png

Symmetricom seems to be always about 10 uSec ahead. If I turn of the
power and then on again, it will be in sync very short moment after the
tracking led is turned in. But then it will always roll itself at 10
uSec ahead and lock there, when the locked led turns on.

It seems that it has somehow wrong GPS PPS offset or maybe it's
folloring the 1PPS signal from it's internal GPS from the wrong edge
(this is just my guess; Thunderbolt has 10 uSec long PPS signal, maybe
the internal GPS as well?)

I understand that TS2100 is not as accurate PPS source as Thunderbolt.
But it's manual claims that 1PPS accuracy should be 1 uS. So this is
clearly out of spec. This is strange because the Symmetricom seems to be
high quality product. Obviously not?

Is there any way to fix this by adjusting some offset with telnet etc?
If not, maybe I try to invert the 1PPS from internal GPS. Or if someone
knows how to use Thunderbolt as a time source, I could use that and
remove the internal GPS...

--
73s!
Esa