[time-nuts] OXCO Issues -- Latest

Frederick Bray fwbray at mminternet.com
Sun May 12 18:45:18 EDT 2013

Interestingly, there is a hole in the foam to adjust the pot.  There is
no corresponding hole in the can, only one for the piston capacitor
adjustment.   It appears that the pot is part of the oven control
circuit.  Maybe Ovenaire had a test fixture to make the adjustment
before putting everything in the can?

I am about to the point where I will probably just reassemble it and
drill a hole for the pot.  (That won't be hard to do after looking at
the distance between the two existing holes in the foam and figuring out
where the hole in the can should go.)

I have looked at the board under a lighted magnifier and can't see any
cold solder joints or similar flaws.  I suppose I could heat each one up
with a soldering iron to make sure.  I have tested all the resistors
while in circuit and all values read less than or equal to the marked
values.  I realize that it is still possible that one has increased but
that due to other circuit components the reading is still less than the
value of the resistor.  Perhaps I should just shotgun the ones in the
oven control portion of the circuit?  I have found no open diodes.  I
also have turned the pot 1/2 turn in each direction and returned it to
its original position in the hope that this will have cleaned it.

I will have to go back into the power supply anyway.  There are a couple
of strange things, such as the previously mentioned fluctuations on the
12 volt line.  Then, there is the fact that the -7 volt supply is still
a volt too low.  It came up after I replaced some electrolytic
capacitors and some out of value resistors but there's still more to
do.  This doesn't impact the OCXO as it only uses 12 volts.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Fred