[time-nuts] adafruit $40 GPS

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat May 18 04:05:45 EDT 2013

Interesting product.. too bad they don't have a small antenna that could
be integrated with it. (or maybe they do, and my browsing around didn't
find it).

I've got a bunch of applications coming up for something which needs
synchronization at 1us to 1ms level for distributed data collection. The
Garmin GPS18 is nice for now, but I'm always looking for things that
might be at different levels of integration for other projects.

Jim,

I have successfully used that receiver, with its built-in antenna:

  http://www.adafruit.com/products/746

on a Raspberry Pi NTP server:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Raspberry-Pi-NTP.html#serial

The performance is shown here:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_raspi-1.php

and on that particular card PC there is a few microseconds of oscillation
(independent of what GPS receiver I use).  Other Raspberry Pi cards don't
show the same issue, but they may be running a slightly different OS or
firmware.

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_ntp.php

Cheers,
David