[time-nuts] OCXO shock protection

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue May 21 13:57:51 EDT 2013

On 5/21/13 8:29 AM, Chris Albertson wrote:
> The question here, I think was about the day-to-day shaking, not a once in
> a lifetime event.   Seriously if there was a 1+g acceleration who'd care if
> their OCXO was still running under that pile of rubble that used to be a
> house.   It is the days-to-day level stuff that matters to time keeping
> even a magnitude 1.0 quake is very rare for any one building even if 1.0 is
> common (every day) for a geographic area. The effects are local.
>
> hour-to-hour shaking is caused by building occupants, trucks and
> construction equipment and wind.  But mostly things like slamming doors and
> such.
>
> Here is a map of recent quakes near where I live.  There are quite a few
> but I don't know of anyone who noticed even one last week.  You need
> sensitive instruments to detect them over the noise of street traffic and
> such.
> http://www.data.scec.org/recent/recenteqs/Maps/Los_Angeles.html
> All the data are there, you can look up detailed reports of each one  The
> web site evenhas a download page where you can get "data" with
> accelerations, periods and such.

Of some casual interest is the 3.2 this morning off Pt Fermin
http://www.data.scec.org/recenteqs/Quakes/ci15345393.html

Note the depth is given as 0.3 km.  That is kind of odd, because the
water depth in the channel between Catalina and Los Angeles is on the
order of a km, so one wonders what's going on.

(In fact, Google Earth gives the depth at the lat/lon  as 860 meters