[time-nuts] Net4501's cheap...

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu May 23 15:19:17 EDT 2013

Newegg has a refurb'd netbook for $40 right now and new ones for $100.
 These are complete systems with LCD display, case and battery power with
AC adaptor and still cheaper than a Pi or a Soekris.   The reason to buy
the pi, Ardurino, Launchpad or whatever is if you intend to "hack" the
hardware.  If not then just buy a cheap notebook for $50 or less

Here is one example:
Item=N82E16834760001<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834760001>

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 7:51 AM, Paul <tic-toc at bodosom.net> wrote:

> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 1:06 AM,
> > There is now one left for $129, gee free shipping. Do yourself a favor
> > and get a $35 RaspberryPi and a $12 5-port net switch.
> > Don
>
> A variation is still available for sale from Soekris and they're more
> than $129.  However I don't think they're worth buying from Ebay at
> that price even if it included a nice CF card.
>
> A better comparison would be a Pi for $45, 5V power for $20, a case
> for $20 and a powered USB hub for $25.  ~$100 (including shipping)
> assuming it comes with an SD card.
>
> The Raspberry Pi wouldn't need a USB hub if they didn't reboot when
> you plugged into the USB ports.
>
> Speaking as someone who has two RPi's :-( and three Beaglebone Blacks :-)
>
> Of course I  have a bias toward Ubuntu so the Beaglebones are a better
> fit for me for other reasons.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California