[time-nuts] Good (cheap) PIC chip choice for project?

Herbert Poetzl herbert at 13thfloor.at
Sat May 25 22:20:31 EDT 2013

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 10:04:59PM -0400, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi

> If you are putting money into a Microchip programmer, I'd
> probably head over to the PIC Kit 3 rather than the 2. It will
> do debug as well as programming on the range of parts.

Unfortunately the command line support is missing in the
PICkit 3, although there was/is an efford to make the 'new'
PICkit 3 compatible with the PICkit 2.
(as usualy, marketing decisions ... :)

And the PICkit 2 can do all the debugging the PICkit 3
does plus it can work as UART and Logic Analyzer as well.

> Having breakpoints and debug is a *good* thing.

Depends, using breakpoints and/or debug on time critical
stuff (like software PWM or UART) usually results in
unexpected results, more often it is simpler to add one
or more LEDs to display a state or do 'printf' style
debugging via serial (UART/I2C/SPI).

But as always, YMMV.

best,
Herbert