[time-nuts] Use of Trimble Thunderbolt for GPS clock time source?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Nov 8 21:07:59 EST 2013

Bob.Burchett at EEonTheWeb.com said:
> Anyone know if the Serial DB-9 port on a T-Bolt can provide us with GPS
> clock time for a dual purpose? We use the 10 MHz now to create a TCXO
> replacement in a VHF radio (makes for good simulcast clock lock so they are
> all on channel) but now we need to synchronize the rest of the system using
> store-and-forward of our TCP packets and make everything on time.  That
> needs real GPS clock time and we don't want to buy another GPS RX for each
> location.  Can we get both signals from one T-Bolt?

Sure.  I think the right model for the box is that the PPS and 10 MHz just
run all the time and you can also talk to it over the serial port.  The
serial port can do monitoring and control.  Monitoring includes things like
watching the satellites and telling you the time.

What sort of time accuracy do you need?

If you are forwarding TCP packets, I assume UDP works too.  It would be
interesting to see what NTP thinks of that channel.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.