[time-nuts] Maxim DS1342

Russ Ramirez russ.ramirez at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 20:06:42 EST 2013

Hi Didier,

True this could be done in SW, and I should have mentioned that I
considered that in my post. However, these chips offer several other
functions that would add complexity to the code, and I've been looking for
a reason to do a simple HW project and open source it through OSH Park
anyway. I'm not looking to do this for just myself.

Looking across the TI and Microchip lines a bit, it strikes me as odd that
more micros supporting integrated RTCs actually use two I/Os for a 32 kHz
crystal option. Why they support an RTC is not mysterious at all, but why
not the option at to drive the 1 Hz clock directly rather than dividing 32
kHz down to 1 Hz and using an extra I/O is odd when these I/Os are usually
configurable anyway.

Russ

You want to drive the RTC with an external PPS to get time/date into an