[time-nuts] Loran

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 18:27:33 EST 2013

Well indeed interesting updates to the ppt. Most of it is the same as the
earlier decks I have seen so far. Though what I did find interesting is
they now mention navigation and not just PNT. I will guess with the 4 site
senario they are back in the navigation business. There is also a small
note on one slide the coast guard has no interest in supporting this. I
think thats with respect to maintaining the sites. Someones going to have
to pay to stabilize those massive lightning arresters.

As to the monopoly thats been a thread that's run its course about wwvbs
new phase modulation.

I will say this as I have listened to the actual signal it is there but not
as loud as I seem to recall. Also I imagine I am hearing almost a
continuous GRI as if the whole period is used. No real gaps. Would need to
actually look at the signal with a scope. Signal levels are good so I can't
complain and the rcvrs are happy.
This has been the longest I have had lfphoenix in a number of years.
Sure hope that it will stick around in a usable fashion. If it does I
really need to explore a better antenna. I am using the classic boat
antenna and preamp. I will believe a loop antenna that has a low Q might be
quite useful. Comments appreciated.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL