[time-nuts] Mains frequency

Didier Juges shalimr9 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 10:06:45 EST 2013

"Alternatively you can put mains through a 40-60 or 50-70 Hz
bandpass filter to suppress anything but the fundamental"

The problem with any filtering is precisely that the phase shift through any filter is highly dependent on the actual signal frequency, so if your purpose is timing, the filter will probably do more damage than help. Tom's data shows that "no filter" works well at his location, which is probably typical, aside from the large number of precision time references in the basement :)

I have some data about filtering the mains I am trying to put together in a web page. Will take a few days. That data was collected with regard to power factor correction, not timing, but it is within the scope of what has been discussed in this thread and it may be interesting to the curious mind.

Didier KO4BB

--
Sent from my Motorola Droid Razr 4G LTE wireless tracker while I do other things.