[time-nuts] Crude Survey Technique

quartz55 quartz55 at hughes.net
Thu Nov 21 15:37:48 EST 2013

I've done this and your best option is to go out at night with a home made tripod, plumb bob and sight from one place to another with polaris and the plumb bob string.  The farther the better, then keep your reference points with a couple of iron posts. You will be well  under 1/2 deg and probably within 10ths.  Mind you, it won't line up with the survey markers on your property survey.  I have 3 different maps of mine and all the county wants is closure on the property lines, they don't care if you use magnetic north or true north or your own system.  My house is lined up this way, I have clerestory windows and I've set up the overhang to let the sun come in on the vernal equinox and leave on the autumnal equinox.  I did it with drawings and it worked out to the day.

Dave
N3DT