[time-nuts] Crude Survey Technique

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Nov 24 08:13:57 EST 2013

The Thunderbolt uses single precision floating point and digital filtering
for temperature so yes, you are going to see values like this. This is not
unusual (precision clearly out of step with accuracy), like the HP network
analyzers returning gain in dB with 4 decimals at microwave frequencies.
Not sure what your point is?
Should Lady Heather pretend to know better and muck with what's sent by the
receiver?
I prefer not but it's a matter of opinion.

Didier KO4BB
===============================

Oh, if that's what the Thunderbolt sends, then that's what should be
reported.  I hadn't appreciated that.  Makes you wonder why the designers
did that, though.

More modern equipment I've seen uses (for example) integers to report dB x
10, so tenths of a dB resolution.  I do see computer temperature sensors
reporting in millidegrees, with an accuracy of +/-  2°C!

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk