[time-nuts] How hard is it to detect a GPS Jammer?

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Mon Oct 7 11:39:39 EDT 2013

Hi Hal:

Yes you can detect jammers driving by.

There was a prior case of unintentional GPS jamming around Moss Landing harbor, Monterey Bay, California caused by a
faulty (oscillating) active TV antenna on a boat that was powered 24/7.

Military GPS receivers, like the DAGR or PLGR-II, include jamming detection.
http://www.prc68.com/I/DAGR.shtml#P2APPS

The patent Handheld GPS jammer locator
https://www.google.com/patents/US7233284
Contains some interesting info plus detailed plans for the hardware including mfg & model numbers, but not the Altera
Model EPM7064STC44-10 FPGA code.  I suspect the FPGA not only does what's required for the patent to work, but also some
other stuff like switching the LO to other frequencies (maybe both hi and lo side) so that it works not just for L1, but
also all the GNSS positioning frequencies.  But you could use a micro controller to do the same thing for a one off unit.

What was not mentioned in the TED talk was how a US UAV was captured pretty much intact by spoofing a military GPS receiver.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com