[time-nuts] Trimble replacement part-2

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sun Oct 13 16:06:28 EDT 2013

Hi

All of the surplus GPSDO's are designed for cell tower applications. They are time references rather than frequency references. That's true of a TBolt, the HP 38xx's, the Nortel / Trimble's and the Symmetricom / Trimbles. It's also true of many the TIme Source series of parts (for various reasons).

If you want a unit with tight *guaranteed* frequency accuracy for a wide range of averaging (say < +/- 10 ppt 10 seconds to forever), you want a GPS disciplined Rb not a GPS disciplined OCXO. They are out there. Plan on spending a couple thousand dollars. Even with those units, there is no software that will tell you what the frequency accuracy currently is. All it will tell you is "locked and running". To *know* that the frequency is correct you still need an external high accuracy reference to compare to. The gizmo's main spec is not going to be ADEV. ADEV won't tell you what the actual frequency is.

Bob