[time-nuts] NTP REFCLOCK for a Jackson Fury??

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 16:48:11 EDT 2013

On the other hand if you are using NTP you have no need for a clock that
does better than about 1e-8.  Anything better is wasted.  NTP at best cares
about microseconds, not nanoseconds.

What I meant was that if you need to know the nuts and bolts of how NTP ref
clocks work at the level of software internals the NTP list is the place to
be.  That level of expertise is rare here and common there.  I was not
implying at all that you should not be permitted to ask here, just that as
a practical matter the experts are not here.

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 7:57 AM, Paul <tic-toc at bodosom.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 2:54 PM, Chris Albertson
> <albertson.chris at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Details like this about NTP ref clocks are best posted to the NTP list.
> >  The true experts live there
> >

> I would suggest that's not the best choice (been there, done that).  If
> you're looking at a controller managed GPSDO you've moved well past the
> typical mass-market (e.g. MTK) GPS+PPS module and are presumably interested
> in more than just the Void flag.
>
> In general the NTP folks stop caring a bit before 10e-3 and see no real
> point in having constellation of local stratum-1 clocks.  Naturally there
> are exceptions and they're probably all on this list.
>
> I think this is the best place to talk about the GPSDO big picture.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California