[time-nuts] Splitter for GPS antenna suggestions?

quartz55 quartz55 at hughes.net
Fri Oct 25 22:17:10 EDT 2013

Seems to me that most splitters I've seen will not pass the 5 V to the antenna since they usually have transformers that make the input and output at DC ground.  You'd have to decide which DO will feed the antenna voltage and get it there somehow.  Then is the other one going to give you an 'open/shorted antenna'?  I suppose you could arrange some capacitive bypass somehow to one unit.  There may be some new units out there that will do it and are powered/amplified also, but I'm thinking of just passive splitters, if the signals are good you'll only loose about 3.5 dB to each one.

I may be completely off base here, but you need to think about how the antenna is going to get powered and you're not shorting the 5V from the units to ground.

Dave
N3DT