[time-nuts] Time stamping with a PICPET

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 01:19:05 EDT 2013

What kind of accuracy do the picket's have.   You can log pulses using the
PPS system on bare PC hardware and get the time of the pulse logged to
within about 2 uSec.  Simply connect the pulse to DCD line of a real serial
port.

If you need better than 2 uSec then yes you need external hardware.

If those pickets are much better than 2 uSec then they make a GREAT front
end for a NTP server.  Question: how do you transfer accurate time into the
PIC?

How to get the serial data to a file?  Just "cat" the port to a file.  No
software required

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 9:46 PM, Neville Michie <namichie at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have some PICPETs made by TVB.
> They take a 10MHz clock, and on receiving a pulse trigger, they send out a
> 19200 Baud
> RS232 time stamp word.
> My query is can they be fed straight into a serial port?
> What about logic levels?
> Would a serial/USB converter get them into a laptop?
> What applications are available to receive the data and make an ASCII file
> that can be read by a spreadsheet
> or other data reduction program.
> There used to be all sorts of Monitor programs for PCs but I can not see
> any on recent machines.
> I want to log one second signals from a pendulum to analyse its precision.
> The device looks ideal for this task.
> thanks,
> Neville Michie

Chris Albertson