[time-nuts] powering Trimble Thunderbolt with -5V rather than -12V

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 31 03:36:34 EDT 2013

Hi,
Interesting investigation, thanks for sharing. Another option I have used was +12V & +5V  with the -12V rail powered by a 9V output isolated DC-DC converter from an old thin ethernet network card. These come in either 5V or 12V input and are effecitvely free (you also get 10MHz isolaton transformers filters and Balun on most cards). They are the fat 24pin DIL module. A little additional filtering may be desirable. So they work on -9V to0. this then just needs a +12V +5V disk drive type supply (linear) and the DC-DC converter. I still think the Condor / PowerOne HTTA 16W linear open frame supply (e.g. ebay item 221307930971 no connection) is the best solution though.

Robert G8RPI.