[time-nuts] LPRO questions...

wb6bnq wb6bnq at cox.net
Thu Sep 5 16:13:55 EDT 2013

Alan,

It won't be splattering, but more of a shadowing or dull glazing, kind
of like gray colored sun glasses.  The heating is to cause the sun glass
effect coating the glass bulb to go back into a gas and, when cooled
down it will solidify, pooling into the DIMPLE that should be oriented
in the down position to collect said pooling.

It is a very small amount of Rubidium material grayish silver in color.
The only purple is when heated to the gaseous state it is excited as a
plasma by an external RF signal around 100 MHz.

So, the two big questions are was it heated long enough to cause all the
material to go back in to a gas form and then while cooling it was held
fixed so the DIMPLE was pointed down long enough ?  Hopefully you got it
right, otherwise try again is all you can do.  Personally, I don't think
60 to 90 seconds would be long enough, but I don't actually know that,
just a feeling.  If you got it right, perhaps there are other issues
like part values that have drifted.

Bill....WB6BNQ