[time-nuts] New NTBW50AA

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sat Sep 7 11:29:54 EDT 2013

Hi

On Sep 7, 2013, at 10:13 AM, quartz55 <quartz55 at hughes.net> wrote:

> OK, I'm staying away from the AC input, I can deal with the DC just fine.  I've got some decent TV coax, and it shouldn't be a 30' run to a good spot.

Conventional TV coax (solid core rather than foam) is not ideal for GPS. The foam core sat tv stuff is fine since it's designed for the same frequency range as GPS.

>  I have a very good view of the southern sky, actually that's about all I have. Heavy canopy of trees right above the shack area.  Will trees block the signals to any appreciable amount?

They will block the signal. If they are wet they will do a pretty good job of blocking it. Mid winter after they shed, not so much blocking.

>  I know they kill the hughes signal for my satellite internet.  Once I get set up and running, I'll look into some of the quad shield.
>
> As far as reset, is this something I need to do in LH?  I haven't installed or looked at the program yet.  Should I first get the com going into the unit before I plug the antenna in or just get it set up and do a reset when I start it up.  I'm supposing I can find the reset when I start LH and get com working?

Most of the cell site GPSDO's were in position hold mode when in use and have not been reset by the seller. You need to use some sort of software to tell the device to come out of position hold mode and to do a self survey. If you do not do the reset, the gizmo will not work.

>  It'll be an hour or so before I get the antenna and cable installed and into the shack.  But then I should be ready to start unless I have to deal with a higher DC voltage/current than I have.

I have not tried feeding the switcher less voltage than it likes. Some have under voltage lockouts for self protection. Others simply catch fire….

Bob