[time-nuts] Lightning Strike Site (Jim Lux)

Tom Bales tob at starhouse.org
Mon Sep 9 18:36:31 EDT 2013

I played around a little with the AS3935 development kits in the hopes of
doing just what Mark suggested--putting together an array of lightning
detectors with GPS time stamp, using the PICTIC+ time-stamper designed by
Richard McCorkle.  We already have a global array of cosmic-ray detectors,
and some of my students want to see if we can find a correlation between
lightning and cosmic-ray air showers.

I was hoping that the AS3935 had a pulse output synchronous with detecting
a lightning discharge, but the only output is serial data, which seriously
limits the time-stamp precision.  I'd love to hear if anyone has any ideas
for getting a low-latency TTL output from this detector.

Tom Bales