[time-nuts] ThunderBolt Display - Update

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 12 15:58:52 EDT 2013

Hi Adam,
I have copied this to our outmoded reflector. At least it's low noise and high quality.

Sorry but dispite having been a licenced amateur for 35 years, I don't meet your 55+ demographic.
I am aware that amateur radio has an aging demographic. That is why I have tutored for the UK licence for 30 years with student ages as low as 10.

If you paid $3k for 50 double sided PTH PCBs you need to find a new supplier.

I HAVE invested my own money in group projects (not time nuts), in one case an PIC driven LCD display add on for an instrument. I was able to sell these on ebay for $75 and to list/group members for $50. Circuit, source code and Hex file are published and freely available. I also supplied programmed PICs on request. So you are wrong in your statement "I seriously doubt somebody like you would" (invest in making up kits for a group. I do value my own time which is why I don't waste it on email forums full of people who have lots of opinion but no knowledge.

You are correct, I don't contribute much to Time Nuts, I'm here to learn. I have contributed the odd manual PDF (originals purchased and scanned by myself) and some bits and pieces to members off-list.

I also sell support software on PROM for other equipment, again at discount to relevant list members and with full details available. Many people do prefer to pay me to program devices, but at least I give them the option and assistance to do it themselves.

Don't know what you typed into google, but when I put g8rpi in the third item was an open design for a low noise high voltage power supply of mine. You don't have to waffle on on youtube to contribute! You seem very fond of your voice and face.

You imply your display is not a commercial product. I guess its not as it does not appear to comply with C-Tick, FCC or CE requirements :-)

I'm aware of the time and effort required to make webpages, I've had formal training on the subject.
I don't have a webpage, I contribute directly to specific groups. I don't need to boost my ego online.
Your main website looks like a shop to me. Your other webpage http://www.qsl.net/vk4cp/ is "interesting"
Your other "product" the Icom Multi-send looks a great design, or not. $79 for a PIC 3 Sil relay a few connectors and an undrilled case.

On your display, why no circuit? looking at the pictures it has TWO 28 pin Microchip devices. If these are both MCUs I don't think much of your coding skills My display used a single 14 pin PIC.

And a rotary SWITCH for mode selection, how quaint and old fashioned. Also why the 3.3V regulator?

You claim 0.02V accuracy. Really? I see no voltage reference and if you are using the PICs internal ADC thats only 10 bits so about 0.015V resolution for 0-15V input. With no other errors that's 0.03V (+_1 LSB) at best. I guess you could have a Vref and offset circuit on the other side of the PCB though.
Couldn't you have included your "commander" functionaliy? This would save users from the messing about with programmers that you seem to think they hate (yes I know you said you have supplied programmed chips).

Don't know what problem you have with engineers, without them you would not have much equipment.
For the record I'm a Chartered Engineer, Member of the Royal Aeronautical Society. I've been a licenced aircraft engineer for 30 years and currently design avionics and systems. That includes work on VH aircraft, this grumpy old engineer may have designed a critical part on the next aircraft you fly on!

I did not "initiate a personal attack on somebody," nor did I say that you do not contribute anything (I said you did not contribute to the Time nuts list, by your own admission you don't). I asked three questions. Obviously these touched a nerve.

G'day,

Robert Atkinson CEng MRAeS G8RPI.