[time-nuts] FE-5680A Voltage?

Robert LaJeunesse rlajeunesse at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 12 22:19:40 EDT 2013

Looking at the LM2596 datasheet the switch transistor saturation voltage is 1.5V max at 3A (1.16v typ). That and an educated guess of about 0.25V for inductor loss combine to set the minimum difference between input and output. The 1.23V reference is about +/-3% accurate, so after setting the "buckboard" to 15.00V out (at 25C) expect it to shift at most 0.5V over time and temp. Add that to the minimum in-out difference and now you are at a minimum safe input of 2.25V above the nominal 15V output, or 17.25V in.  An old 19V 3A laptop supply might be a good supply to use for this, if you were local I'd hand you one.

As for efficiency, that just tells you the amount of heat the regulator, plus inductor, plus diode, etc. will throw off. FWIW the datasheet Figure 5 indicates you should expect about 88% or better efficiency for 15V out and at least 2V higher input voltage. (Doing some switching power supply design for a living does help with my understanding of them, but not ever enough!)

Bob LaJeunesse