[time-nuts] Example of clocks interlocking with each other

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Sep 13 23:39:09 EDT 2013

bob at evoria.net said:
> If 99 out of 100 metronomes were slower than the one fast one, I don't think
> it would rule.  I think you're overlooking the fact that this is a "greatest
> moving mass rules" case.  Notice that the board they're resting on moves.
> This changes the speed of the pendulums as they move.  It can either slow
> the fewer ones down, or speed the fewer ones up.

Consider a kid on a swing (aka pendulum) with an adult providing the
propulsion.

The normal approach is that you put your fingers on the swing as it gets near
the top and measure when it starts back down and then add a gentle push.
That doesn't change the frequency, at least not much.

You could also push before it gets to the top.
  That would speed things up.  (aka increase frequency)
You could also pull as it gets near the top.  (or hold on a bit)
  That would slow things down.  (aka decrease frequency)

Instead of pushing by hand, you could also put the whole swing and kid on a
giant shake table.

Have any of the outfits with BIG shake tables put a swing on them for their
employee type open houses or such?

In the context of metronomes, the platform is the shake table and it vibrates
at the consensus frequency with some noise.  It might be fun for a time-nuts
geek[1] to measure and analyze the motion of the table and/or see how that
motion interacts with a set of metronomes.

Has anybody measured any collection of typical crystals when their power (or
whatever) is deliberately coupled?  (or at least not isolated)

-------

1] Is geek and time-nuts redundant?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.