[time-nuts] Req: Decent GPS Antenna Active/PassiveRecommendation

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Sep 15 05:14:46 EDT 2013

Hello David,

Thanks for the pic!

Well, I need something that I can put outside, in the weather, with my
verticals, and other antennas.  I am a Ham radio enthusiast, and I want
something I can properly mount and can be an all-weather device and can
live happily 'in the farm' so to speak.

I should have been more specific.

Thanks Again,
John Westmoreland
AJ6BC - (that's my call sign)

Thanks for the clarification, John.  I'm sure others will answer your
question, but here I have not found the need for an outdoors GPS antenna,
being located on the top floor of a two-storey building, in a good VHF
location.  This with one exception - an older Garmin GPS 18 LVC, which had
the sensitivity of decade-old devices, not the modern chips.  That just sits
on the sloping roof, actually on the opposite side of the roof from these
antennas:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/atovs/pic_old-and-new.jpg

from:
  http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/atovs/index.html