[time-nuts] Req: Decent GPS Antenna Active/PassiveRecommendation

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sun Sep 15 10:00:05 EDT 2013

Hi

On Sep 15, 2013, at 9:42 AM, Jim Lux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 9/15/13 2:27 AM, Anthony Stirk wrote:
>> Hi John,
>>
>> I've found as long as the module has lock the level of timing isn't going
>> to change so you can use anything really (heck we even us ceramic chip
>> antennas on some boards). For outside use any active automotive patch
>> should be fine but keep the lead as short as possible. Again I don't
>> believe the antenna actually needs to be outside the NEO-6T modules will
>> give timing with just one satellite so as long as you can get a lock
>> indoors you should be fine.
>>
>> I run a pair of chinese magnetic patch antennas indoors (on top my bench
>> PSU) in the window.
>>

> If you're going to get obsessive about the timing signals, putting your antenna outside means that you can put it up high enough to avoid multipath.  For ham use, for instance for time tagging, and to drive a GPS disciplined oscillator for a frequency standard.. anywhere you can get a signal is probably good enough. (unless you're looking for that last microhertz in the ARRL frequency measurement test)

It's not all that hard to spot the GPS antenna(s) on a normal cell site. They typically are installed in some pretty awful locations (GPS wise). They still do what they need to despite that.

GPSDO's will indeed perform measurably better if care is taken with antenna location. For a cell tower - not an issue. As long as better placement doesn't cost much - why not optimize things? Better is still better…

Bob