[time-nuts] New NTBW50AA

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Sun Sep 15 17:54:25 EDT 2013

Lee, if I can make a couple of comments, first, you can have large
voltage differences among your 23 "ground" rods, depending on the ground
terminus of the lightning strokes. Second, antennae and feed lines that
do not attract lightning due to being "hidden" can still be subject to
large induced voltages.
I'd suggest all the ground rods and antenna bases be connected directly
with large cable so they are all truly at the same ground potential...
Don

Lee Mushel
> Lightning is certainly one of Old Mother Nature's principal weapons as
> well
> as being extremely unpredictable.   My House/Shack is on the side of a
> hill
> with the Antenna Farm on top of the hill about 120 yds away with an
> additional 30 ft. of elevation.   There is a metal "lightning rod"
> extending
> high enough to provide a "cone of protection" for the house and is
> grounded
> directly.   And there are five other metal antennas on that roof, two to
> separate ground and three to still another which is close to the shack
> "ground field" which is three additional  ground rods.   All ground rods
> mention are the standard 8 ft. copper plated steel items.  Each of five
> antennas in the antenna field also have individual ground rods and I
> guess
> if you follow the cable shields you could say that they are all
> connected
> together.    A couple of years ago I counted all ground rods and came up
> with 23.   Before all of the metal was added and the "lightning rod" was
> the
> only metal extending about 20 ft. above the roof and we had an
> electrical
> storm my wife would complain that she could feel her hair trying to rise
> in
> response to the field coming from the cable which ran across the roof
> and at
> it's closest point was only 6-7 ft. from her head as the crow flies.
> But
> after all the additional metal was added in the form of antennas with
> grounds  she no longer complained.
>
> I do not claim to understand what goes on around here at an elevation of
> about 102 ft. above the valley floor but I believe that we have been
> "fortunate"  (or lucky if you prefer that word) and we have so much
> metal in
> the air that most "discharges" are not of the type that is accompanied
> by
> thunder!   Two years ago we had a tree die that was no more than 30 ft.
> from
> the house.   Since I have not always been able to accurately predict
> where
> trees will fall that I cut myself I hired a professional to take it down
> and
> he took one look at it, reached up and stripped off a piece of bark and
> commented, "See those lines?   This tree was struck by lightning.
> That's
> what killed it!"   But no lightning related damage to structure or
> equipment
> here for nearly 15 years!
>
> My only thought on the subject was that only a fool would fail to
> disconnect
> an antenna that rises above the house roof  during an electrical storm.
> [...]

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those
who have not got it.”
-George Bernard Shaw

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLC