[time-nuts] New NTBW50AA

quartz55 quartz55 at hughes.net
Wed Sep 18 16:47:35 EDT 2013

Thanks Charles,

I have tried the &a command and that is where LH put the numbers, TC from 100 to 500, Damp from 1.2 (that's how it came) to 1.0, and it changed the gain from 1.2 to 1.403.  I could certainly try playing with the DAC voltage. I haven't written anything to the prom yet, I think, when I turn the unit off and back on it seems to revert to where it was when I got it, but that's only been a few times and for a few minutes, it's been on nearly since I got the antenna installed on Sep 9, or 9 days.  I haven't done a precision survey at this location either, but it didn't seem to make any difference at the other locations.

As far as dBc, I've seen numbers in the 50's at this location and I don't think I've seen that before, but nothing scientific about any of the locations or numbers.  This location sees to the east and west probably better than the others, south should be about the same.  Actually right now I'm seeing 2 in the 60's and one at 71.5.

I wasn't going to change the OCXO willy-nilly, I'll have to explore this one first.  I'll see if I can find any info on this OCXO.

The antenna is a Lucent PCTEL "GPS-TMG-HR-26N, High Rejection 26dB With Enhanced Narrow Band Filtering", apparently for high RF environments, only one I've got or tried, it came with the Nortel from RDR.  About 130' of RG-6 and with the 26dB gain and a 4 dB noise figure, it's probably swamping any loss in the cable or NF of the RX.

You didn't say, but I get the feeling maybe I should be getting smaller ppt numbers?  When you say  noisy, is high ppt generally a result of excess noise (front end NF)?

When I get a chance I'll play with the DAC voltage.

Dave