[time-nuts] New NTBW50AA

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Thu Sep 19 17:48:58 EDT 2013

Hi

With a Trimble TBolt, when you do an auto-cal it comes up with a sensitivity of the OCXO, and modifies the filter (as in the PID control loop filter) coefficients. You can then save them to the eeprom / flash in the TBolt. The settings persist across multiple reboots. The settings do impact the way the TBolt functions. This allows you to use OCXO's with different sensitivities (and even control polarity) in the TBolt.

In the Trimble NTBW50 (and Trimble made clones) you can run the auto cal via LH. The sensitivity is calculated and may appear to change. The settings can not be saved in flash / eeprom. They do not persist across multiple reboots. There is no evidence that the NTBW50 actually uses the changed settings.

Switching elevation masks, changing AMU limits, works with both units. These changes do save to flash / eeprom on both units. They persist across multiple reboots on both. The do impact the way both units function.

My guess is that the antenna you have is virtually identical to the Lucent 26 db gain device. I doubt that the cost of getting one is worth the money. If you want a better antenna, go for one of the $300 - $500 choke ring antennas. You will also need a bias Tee (they mostly run on 12 volts), but it's often included.

Enjoy!

Bob