[time-nuts] Space mission comes to an end because of a "computer time tagging" problem

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Sep 21 22:41:09 EDT 2013

jimlux at earthlink.net said:
> Then on the ground, we time tag  (with an atomic clock) when the telemetry
> frame is received. (giving you "Earth Received Time" or ERT)  Someone on the
> ground does a process of time correlation figuring out what spacecraft time
> corresponds to what TAI time, allowing for the various factors like the
> light time from spacecraft to the earth station.

A friend works at the VLA.
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_Large_Array
They occasionally cooperate with NASA.  He told me roughly the following
story.

NASA wanted a second opinion on the location of one of their probes out near
Jupiter or Saturn or ???  No problem.  They collected some data and fed it to
the computers.  NASA didn't like the answer.  It was way off.  After the
appropriate amount of head scratching, the VLA geeks figured out that this
was the first time that they had used that software to look at something that
was within the solar system.  They fixed it to do the blue-shift corrections
from "nearby" rather than infinity.  NASA was very happy with the revised
answer.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.