[time-nuts] Pulsars make a GPS for the cosmos

J. Forster jfor at quikus.com
Sat Sep 28 13:49:15 EDT 2013

Yes, but to use them for interstellar navigation, as suggested, when the
propagation delays are 10,000 years or more complicates things.

What is contemplated is comparing the clocks, as they were thousands of
years ago, where they were thousands of years ago, with largely unknown
motions. You can't have a central coordinating facility that sends out
correction signals, because of the propagation delays.

Essentially you are cherry picking the data. Never mind the technical
problems with monitoring many pulsars in many different directions.

There is a similar problem with some early SETI searches. There is really
no 0,0,0 for the universe, AFAIK. Which Doppler effects do you remove?
Some? All? None?

My solution was to use the coordinate system, wherein the 3 degree K
background was the same in all directions as a standard of rest, but who
knows if that is a correct choice?

-John